I’ve really gotten used to eating something sweet in the mornings. I really don’t like eggs, ever since I was younger, so I never ate a savory breakfast. Sugarfree breakfasts looked like a challenge to me. How would that taste like? And how would my body react to it?
I’m a fan of eating oatmeal and granola when I wake up. I always like making my own oatmeal and granola (Dutch recipe). Sugarfree granola is really easy to make yourself. You just have to adjust it to your own tastes. So I tried making two different versions. Here is the first!
Sunrise Granola (Orange, Almond-Cashew butter Granola with Sesame seeds, Pumpkin seeds and Brazil nuts)
1 Tbsp sugarfree Appelsauce
200 grams (about 1.5 – 2 cups) Steel-cut Oats
1 Tbsp Almond-Cashew butter (or peanut butter)
1 Tsp Cinnamon and Tumeric
Dash of salt
Handful of sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and brazil nuts.
1. Preaheat the oven to 190°c.
Cut the orange in half and put the juice and zest in a bowl. Add a Tbsp of apple sauce.
2. Put your steal-cut oats in a big bowl. You can use the cup measurements, but weighing it will lead to better results.
3. Add your favorite nutbutter or just the butter that you have in your fridge / cupboard. Add 1 Tbsp to your orange/applesauce mix. Mix it well.
5. Mix the wet and dry ingredients. Make sure you mix them well and that all the oats are encompassed by the mixture. Be sure to add your seeds and nuts to this mixture too (I forgot to do this myself).
6. Spread the oats on a baking sheet and pop it into the oven for about 15-25 minutes (depends on your oven). Check the oats every 5 minutes and turn them frequently so each side is baked evenly. It is important to do so, so they won’t burn.
7. Take the oats out when they feel dry and crunchy. Let them cool off completely (or else they will become soggy).
This granola isn’t very sweet, but it is quite tasty. You can add some dried fruit if you are craving a bit more sweetness.
The next time I will post my recipe for my carrot cake inspired granola.
What is your favorite breakfast item?
Leave a comment down below!
Remember, eat your veg! ^.^